Skip to main content

My Points

Last several days were a transition phase. I have to shift my location (better say loci) from my Institute to some where in Bangalore. I have to complete final proceedings of my college (convocation is still left). I remember six years ago when I left my home, then I found my undergraduate college BIT Sindri, as my mother. Big Halls, big buildings, large area and dear some library were something I cannot forget. I owe much of my strength to BIT Sindri. My graduate Institute, IIITb behaved to me in the same way. However, here, my room, MH2-307 became my world. I liked this room too much( I was not frequent to my friends rooms, because I simply loved my room). Some of the points that I have noticed related to fields I have worked in are quoted below:-

  1. Jobs should be judged not only on the basis of work quality or money you get, but also on the basis of people you work with. You cannot say I can work with any person!!!
  2. Usually, the vast array of programs that comprise software field forgets that ultimately they are running on some hardware and similarly the hardware field forgets that they have to run some software. Everywhere information processing is going on.
  3. Software Engineering and Computer Science are different thing. The later is certainly more complex and revolutionary.
  4. Ultimately Computer Science is Advance Mathematics. Mathematics should be molded according to programming languages (may be just at theme level).
  5. Hype around Computer Languages and Operating System is of no use. I think hype around OS like Linux is shadowing strength of Linux. Rather than running scripts at command line, it is more necessary to create new codes.
  6. A similar hype exists in Electrical Engineering, where circuits are presented in highly unclear way. I have not found books which emphasizes on topology of circuits at basic level.
  7. In whole conventional engineering approaches (like in Mechanical/Chemical/Electrical) Taylor's approximation is at cornerstone. A first level approximation of kind, y = y0 + (x-x0)m, m = dy/dx at x = x0, is much popular. See Ohm's law, friction, Hooke's law, difference equations, diode equations, and thermodynamics. I don’t' know why they are not presented in rather beautiful way to students.
  8. In last month I read Roger Penrose book, Road to Reality. My friends think that its a tough book, too techie to handle. I know the cause is that they have not tried even once a time at that book. Penrose have beautifully explained many of the properties of complex number filed and their algebra. For example to proof that f(x) is differentiable n times, we can simply look for differentiability of f(z) where z is a complex number. COMPLEX NUMBER ALGEBRA IS GOING TO BE VERY IMPORTANT FOR ANALYSIS AND CREATION OF ALGORITHMS. THEY WILL DO MAGIC!!!
  9. Problem with students of Electronics, Electrical and Mechanical engineering department is that they always forget fine approximations that run at small levels. For example, what are the calculations that are inherent when we enumerate Diode Current? Most of them are satisfied with diode equations, then on its calculation, then on Holes/Electrons ... but after that they forget the Physics governing those equations. If the physics is in itself very approximate then how can whole calculation be so perfect to work under all conditions?
  10. Very few Computer Science students work out their calculations in programs. The habit is to think program in terms of if...else, some loops ... and modules. What about logic? Does the program derive its strength from logic directly or is it a jargon created around simple logic. Do we read our codes time and again?

I don’t why there is not much stress on pure sciences like Physics and Mathematics. I think engineering world should be eased.

Comments

  1. i never studied like this before as i am doing currently. Previously, I used to study just for the sake that I shud get minimum good marks in the exams. But now I work for myself.
    Very true, there is a difference in CS and Computers. Even the industry understnds it well, Thats why perhaps they recruit differently.

    I hope in nxt some yrs to come, I wud b able to get the real picture of the CS as it is something very different what we visualiza and to a great extent has been depicted by you Reetesh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa whoa whoa...computers...CS...phew !!

    Will you guys chillax and wind down a bit for not-so-intellectual-ones around,ones like me???

    Can we get a light hearted post from you please?
    Its a request.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Deepak -- Thanks friend.

    @Cin -- I will write light ... very light pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And There Ends My Academic Career ...

Results have come. I passed this year also with usual mental peace. Finally, after almost twenty years of passages, I have no more usual academic class to go through. There will be no more class tests, no more subjects, no more college projects, no more round making across college campus and yes no more spicy stories. You will tell me, okay you can have PhD yaar, but then I will respond back -- "no more interest". My career was never rosy and also it was never pale, it never made me jump high, but it never made be feel remorsed, it was a typical career of an average Indian student. I still remember how much it was tough to study Geography in school days and how many times my Father used to mention me exam schedules. I always disliked going to class and I will wonder if my average attendance through out my career will be more than 60%. Well, the white shirt and navy blue short was always boring to wear. I remember the first day when I cheated from my friend the definition of

Praying for "love"

Dear Love, I am sitting beside you. I know you are ill for several days. Your health looks miserable and many a times you were not able to respond. I have been busy in my work, and could not take care of yours. I am feeling really bad and guilty for my behavior. I remember those moments when we were talking, laughing and enjoying every moment of our life. Watching your pale face I am feeling sad and disheartened... It was almost two years back when we met. I came to this place ( IIITb ) alone, with none of my old friends with me. No one was here with whom I could talk, share my thoughts and was feeling as if I am in desert. True, it is that there were folks around me, but effectively, even then, life was dry and relentless. In those dark moments I met you. Initially you were unresponsive in many contexts, but gradually I came to know lot of things about you. Believe me, at the very first sight I got enchanted to you. You were the real fashionista, always wearing in black embroideries c

The condition of Science

Though Mathematics and Physics are the most enrich and deeply developed fields, they are not getting prime attention from academia for many years. I thought that the situation is prevailing only in India, but it seems it has become a global epidemic. A Babe in the Universe is a blog by beautiful researcher L. Riofrio , working in the field of Cosmology. I initially thought that like many women she will be jelling with "life-is-a-saga-of-poetic-events" kind of attitude, but luckily that is not the case. Her blog is sincere approach towards disseminating knowledge of Cosmology in particular, and Physics in general. In one of her articles, Big Trouble in Little Particles , she has precisely pointed out the sorry state of affair between State and Physics:- The world of particle physics is getting small indeed. The UK budget is caught between Northern Rock and Southern Iraq. On December 11 the UK announced withdrawal from the International Linear Collider . One week later Decemb