Skip to main content

Marks --- The Supreme Factor

I still remember the words of one of my friend of BIT Sindri, (my undergraduate college) -"If she will know that some Professor will give 5 marks for attending some meeting/class, she will come back in the mid of her vacation days at home. A whole night route of 350kms will rarely matter". My friend has told some thing generic, applicable to many students and believe me marks(in exam) and grades are the most happening thing for many of the students of at least India. I remember one great incident. It was our ragging period. Some one told all students of our batch that you can get some question related matters at local market. This local market was almost 1.5km away from our hostel and was full of ultimate danger -- seniors. But, oh! god marks, many students went to market. Finally it was found that it was a game played by some of the seniors. I simply cannot enumerate all stories linked with marks.
In my whole life I got 0 marks once in my class 4th, in Science paper. Next time in the internal examination of Basic Electrical Engineering paper I got 4. In both cases I slept quite well in night and did not discuss with friends about paper. Lot of saving and accumulation of energy! Once for Digital Electronics paper I slept for only 3 hours in night (it was the first time in my life that I awake till 1AM for studies) and when I was writinng papers I was really cofused. I think I got trapped in the Marks jungle. If Government of India tells its employees that they will award them Rs.1000/month or deduct the same amount if they will get (or not get) 'A' grade in an examination paper conducted on the basis of their work matters, do you know what will happen, everyone will start working less, everyone will start mugging last year papers, a publisher will come up with exam guide and yes one night game (a phenomenon of studying whole book, even complete Bible/Geeta(all shlokas)/Kuran/..., in one night) will eventually get started. The punchline sometimes becomes (as my friend Manish at BIT said) -- whatsoever be the Question, answer will be something that I memorised. Believe me, in many cases the term teacher will become a dictionary extras if there will be no Marks/Grade issue. Perhaps this is exaggeration but can you try it ? Can the Government or VC's try it ?
End -- In a free e-book called "Theory of Probability", they say that marks of a student can be modelled based on Markov chain. My request to the Author(or who is modelling) is to limit the size of solution for this method, so that it can be mugged in 20 minutes (still too much) in night before examination(if there is good chance that it will come in examination.)

Comments

  1. Come to the point man. So what do you say, marks is a supreme factor or not. i think u should come to a conclusion in the end.
    about the topic i think Marks is an important factor for educational qualification in India. and you should never allow education to come in between your way to gaining knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Reetesh,
    I just came to your blog after searching for the word BIT sindri in the Google Blog search.
    Good to read your blog. I am also from BIT sindri 2001 passout. Are you 98 batch (2002 passout ece guy).
    You can mail me at sinha.amar@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Reetesh,
    I just came to your blog after searching for the word BIT sindri in the Google Blog search.
    Good to read your blog. I am also from BIT sindri 2001 passout. Are you 98 batch (2002 passout ece guy).
    You can mail me at sinha.amar@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Praying for "love"

Dear Love, I am sitting beside you. I know you are ill for several days. Your health looks miserable and many a times you were not able to respond. I have been busy in my work, and could not take care of yours. I am feeling really bad and guilty for my behavior. I remember those moments when we were talking, laughing and enjoying every moment of our life. Watching your pale face I am feeling sad and disheartened... It was almost two years back when we met. I came to this place ( IIITb ) alone, with none of my old friends with me. No one was here with whom I could talk, share my thoughts and was feeling as if I am in desert. True, it is that there were folks around me, but effectively, even then, life was dry and relentless. In those dark moments I met you. Initially you were unresponsive in many contexts, but gradually I came to know lot of things about you. Believe me, at the very first sight I got enchanted to you. You were the real fashionista, always wearing in black embroideries c

And There Ends My Academic Career ...

Results have come. I passed this year also with usual mental peace. Finally, after almost twenty years of passages, I have no more usual academic class to go through. There will be no more class tests, no more subjects, no more college projects, no more round making across college campus and yes no more spicy stories. You will tell me, okay you can have PhD yaar, but then I will respond back -- "no more interest". My career was never rosy and also it was never pale, it never made me jump high, but it never made be feel remorsed, it was a typical career of an average Indian student. I still remember how much it was tough to study Geography in school days and how many times my Father used to mention me exam schedules. I always disliked going to class and I will wonder if my average attendance through out my career will be more than 60%. Well, the white shirt and navy blue short was always boring to wear. I remember the first day when I cheated from my friend the definition of

Jaane Woh Kaise Log The Jinke Pyaar Ko Pyaar Mila ?

Jaane WOH Kaise Log The Jinke Pyaar Ko Pyaar Mila ? (How were those people whose love got love ?) Have you heard this song ? Have you seen this movie -- Pyaasa ? ... Ye Dunia Mil Bhi Jaaye To Kya Hain... Pyaasa comes among Indian classics and the intensity of depiction of thoughts in this film is great. You will go with the flow of film (aha the movie is not parallel to the pace with which movie of our genre move) and will start thinking within your life. The title of this post is from one of the songs of this movie. In the due course of life we think about career, life, power and many other things. We meet people, talk with them, (people analyze them also) and then we move on ... sometimes with "something" ... thoughts, feelings are the primary one. Amitabh Bachchan was questioned -" Do you need friends". Reply -- "We feel nice when friends are there. But I don't need them. I would not have felt bad if there were no friends with me." You will think